Treatments for Non-Healing Wound
The human body is incredible at healing itself whether you become ill or injured. However, there are certain times when it needs a bit of help. At PA Vascular Institute, we have specialized doctors to help treat non-healing wounds for people who live in PA. If you’re dealing with an injury or wound that won’t heal, you can turn to us for the treatment you need. In fact, our doctors are experts at figuring at the cause of your wound so that they can come up with a solution for you. We serve the following areas:
- Allentown, PA
- Bethlehem, PA
- Easton, PA
And more! If you’re wondering what’s classified as a non-healing wound and how you can get treatment for it, please keep reading.
What is a Non-Healing Wound?
A non-healing or chronic wound is a wound that has difficulty healing on its own. It is typically defined as a wound that does not improve after four weeks or does not heal after eight weeks. Some of the most common ones include:
- Diabetic foot ulcers – An open sore or wound that occurs in approximately 15% of patients with diabetes. It’s normally located at the bottom of the foot.
- Non-healing surgical wounds – A surgical incision that has not undergone the normal healing process, usually because of an infection.
- Pressure ulcers – An area or areas of damaged skin that are caused by staying in one position for too long. They commonly form in areas where the bones are close to the skin.
- Venous-related ulcerations, including venous stasis ulcers – Wounds that can occur due to improper functioning of venous valves, usually in the legs. Although the cause is not certain, they are thought to arise when the venous valves do not function properly, causing pressure in the veins to increase.
- Wounds or injuries that repeatedly break down
- Wounds that are related to metabolic disease
If any of the above sound familiar or if you aren’t sure what your wound is classified as, please schedule an appointment with us at PA Vascular Institute.
Infection is the greatest risk when you’re dealing with a non-healing wound. Since each of us is exposed to bacteria every day, an open wound increases the risk of infection, which can lead to serious conditions, sometimes even the loss of a limb.
How You Can Be Treated
At PA Vascular Institute, our doctors are experts that will be able to figure out the cause of your non-healing wound. We also have cutting-edge technology that will not only help us determine the cause but also provide you with the treatment needed to heal the wound. Our staff members and physicians are experts in identifying the problem and coming up with the solution. At PA Vascular Institute, we’ll use one or more of the following diagnostic treatment options when tailoring treatment to you:
- Vascular studies
- Laboratory evaluation
- Radiology exams
- Nuclear medicine
- Tissue or skin grafting
And more. At PA Vascular Institute, we serve a variety of areas including Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton, PA. If you have any questions about receiving treatment for a non-healing wound, please give us a call today.